Sunday, September 30, 2012

Momma's Tired

What a weekend. I spent two days at the "Ultimate Athlete" seminar hosted by Crossfit. It was very informative and I learned a lot but man am I tired. Stick a fork in me I am done! Preemptive Advil is in order because tomorrow I don't know that I'll be able to lift my arms above my head to wash my hair, or be able to bend over to pull on socks. I squatted, deadlifted and bench pressed more than I ever have before.
Weight I deadlifted.

Previously my max squat was 170lbs. Today I did a band-assisted squat at 275lbs. My max deadlift this July was 225lbs. Today, band assisted it was 365#.  Holy Moses.

Aside from the heavy lifting we did a lot of agility drills, core work and isolation exercises. These pictures are blurry mostly because my fine motor control was shot. I could barely grasp my water bottle at times today.
Triceps walk. Doesn't look fun.
More than the heavy weights though, my confidence got a boost. And I realized the degree to which my self-perception is dictating what I do. Sounds obvious, I know. Occasionally though you need to see these things from a different perspective to realize the degree to which you're holding yourself back. I'm by no means one of the powerhouses at the gym but for the first time in awhile I saw what I could do. It was a lot of work but also a lot of fun.

Here we all are doing hamstring bridges.


This weekend also marked the official beginning of winter. Yes, it snowed. September 30th and we had snow.  When I looked out my bedroom window this morning I said to myself, "We got a lot of frost last night." So naive, so Cheechako. It wasn't frost but full-on snow.