Monday, February 28, 2011

Recycling

Fairbanks doesn't have a city-wide recycling program. Apparently garbage pick up is free here so there's not a lot of incentive for people to cut back on trash. I looked into taking my recycling to one of the local recycling centers but no one place accepts everything. One place takes glass and aluminum (but not tin cans); and another place accepts mixed paper only. I would have ended up driving to at least two, if not three places in order to reduce and reuse. What's a California girl to do?

I started my own recycling center. 

After a week or two of being horrified by the sheer amount of trash I was producing, I did a little research. And by "research" I mean I got lost and "discovered" that the UAF campus has recycling dumpsters. So I got myself some bins and periodically take my recyclables up to campus. 
UAF dumpsters

Of course the aluminum dumpsters at UAF don't accept tin cans either, and the mixed paper dumpster is at a different location than the glass, aluminum and plastic dumpsters. Oh well. Gives me practice at finding my way around. It does my California heart good when I toss my empty beer bottles into the "glass" bin. Shoot. I might as well drink all the beer I can since I'm recycling. Seems like the right thing to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment