Wednesday, February 16, 2011

How Cold Is It?

This was the temperature when I arrived at work this morning:

Up until I started experiencing -40 degree temps I was holding my own with the cold. Telling people, "As long as you're dressed for it -22 doesn't feel that bad. It's a dry cold -- I've felt colder in San Francisco on a damp, windy, foggy day!" 

What a bunch of malarkey! That's like saying when it's 107 degrees, "oh it's a dry heat --so much better than a humid heat."  No. Sorry people, at that point it's just hot. And so when the thermometer drops to -40, it's just cold. Windchill or not, dampness or not, it is cold. There's really nothing else to say about it. But I will.
It's so cold that the snow on the floor mat of my car that has fallen off my boots, never melts. 

It's so cold that every time I walk outside I cough like I have hairballs. Apparently this is from the moisture in my lungs getting so cold it forces me to cough.

It's so cold that there is ice on the *inside* of my windows in my apartment.

It's so cold that when I walk out the door I have an instant headache. It's like experiencing brain freeze from a frozen margarita but without the accompanying buzz.  

It's so cold that I have to take a nap after running a few errands. It seems that my body is working so hard to maintain its equilibrium that being in -40 degrees for any length of time requires monumental effort. Yesterday I got home from work, took an hour nap and still went to bed at 10:30 and didn't rise until 7:30. 

It's so cold that everything takes longer. No more can I get up in the morning and roll out the door in 30 minutes with coffee in hand. I can't just grab my keys and purse and run out the door. I have to allow extra time for everything: putting on the cold weather gear, plugging in the car, remembering to take the extension cord to work so I can plug in there. 

At the elementary school, when the temperature drops below a certain point there is a "carry your coat" rule. This means that the kids have to keep their coats with them at all times. If they come to speech, they bring their coats with them; and if they don't have them I'm supposed to make them go back to class and get it. The rule is for in case of an emergency and we had to go outside the kids will be prepared. Personally, if the building was on fire, I think I'd hang around a few minutes to warm up! 

Despite the cold,  it is always nice to see the sun -- even if you can't feel it.
Sunrise 2/16

1 comment:

  1. Heather - the building on fire comment. Too funny... I have not laughed like that in awhile... :) LAURA WILSON

    ReplyDelete