Sunday, December 4, 2011

Clean Meat

So I'm at the Anchorage airport, enjoying a glass of wine. A couple is seated across from me. The woman's seafood salad arrives. "The meat isn't clean," she says. "I asked for clean meat. The crab is mixed with everything else."

Isn't that the point of a salad? To mix it together?

Of course the "clean meat" statement caught my attention. Clean meat. Oh sweetheart, don't we all wish we could enjoy some clean meat?

The waitress was very gracious and returned with clean meat. She said she had misunderstood. I would have too! What exactly does clean meat mean? Separated, perhaps. On the side, yes. But clean?

Once the desired clean meat salad arrives the couple continues their conversation. Out pops this gem: "Thats the benefit of the mobile phone--it goes wherever I do!"

Wow. Welcome to the age of technology!

But wait, there's more.

She and her husband were later talking about his daughter and her imminent graduation from college. Apparently she majored in something that can land her a job paying 97k a year, first year out of college.

The woman thought this was grand because then the young lady would be able to take care of herself instead of waiting for some jackass to do it for her.

Well, I gotta hand it to her. She is right about that! I didn't think I'd like this woman but perhaps I made a hasty judgment. Clean meat and financial independence--who doesn't want that?