Sunday, August 11, 2013

No Chickens Were Harmed

Yesterday was the Crossfit Fitness Derby. And unlike last year, no chickens died (click here for that story). This year, the fair folks made sure the Derby was on the opposite side of the fairgrounds from the Cluck Hut. And unlike last year, I participated this year! I was going to wax eloquent about the metaphor one can draw between sports competition and life; not believing your own stories about what you think you can do (I even found a nice Bruce Lee quote). Blah, blah, blah, whatever. I'm tired. Too tired to even hold a thought in my head.


Here's all you really need to know:
- The Derby was an all day event consisting of 4 separate events. Everyone competed in each of the 4 events. The person who did the best overall, won. Basically, we went full force all day, running, lifting heavy things, followed my more running. Each event was a workout in and of itself.


- I won first place in the Women's master's Division! As cool as that is, don't get too excited. I was hardly in the top tier of women competing. At best, my performance was mediocre. Not to denigrate what I can do, but let's keep it in perspective. Overall I was 21st out of 24 women. Not exactly a powerhouse. However, there were two other women in the master's division; so at least I didn't win by default.  
- New personal record for my dead lift: 275lbs!
- Ran two miles in 17:01. Definitely a record for me!

Scenes from the day: