Monday, January 14, 2013

The Secret to Everything

...is coconut oil. How else can I explain my sudden love of cauliflower?


I hate cauliflower. Always have. If I've ever been at your house and ate it, well, let it be known that I was truly being polite. I find it to be one of the most foul tasting foods there is. Yet, it is so healthy for you being part of that whole cruciferous vegetable family and all. In the interest of eating "clean" I've been on a quest to find a way to incorporate cauliflower into my food plan that doesn't make me want to hurl.

This how you do it: steam some cauliflower, throw it in the food processor with a dollop of coconut oil, garlic and a little milk (almond milk is my preference), and you have a tasty dish! You will be amazed. I promise. Check out the blog, Our Full Plate for the official recipe. The creator of this gem used olive oil but I chose coconut oil instead. I think I chose wisely. 

When I went to the store tonight to buy said frozen cauliflower, I experienced a first. I had to wear my ice cleats on my shoes otherwise I would have broken a hip.

 

Fairbanks has been experiencing above freezing temps resulting in rain. Freezing rain, that is. You would think this would be a welcome break from the -40 temperatures but it's not. The freezing rain creates slick roads and parking lots. On my first attempt to go grocery shopping I couldn't even get out of the car. I put one foot on the ice and almost didn't grab the door fast enough to keep me from being a pile on the ground. I went home and pulled on my ice cleats. Worked perfectly.

Freezing rain is really the only condition for which schools will close. It could be -50 and the schools won't close. But 36 and freezing rain? Yep, school closed. (Roads are too slick for the buses is why). And rightly so. It is disconcerting to feel your car sliding when you are at a stop sign.


I hope the temperatures drop again quickly though. Two friends are coming to town for a visit (both native Californians) and they need to experience the REAL Alaska. My fingers are crossed for at least -20 this weekend but what a treat it would be if it plummeted to -40! (And yes, I realize this last statement makes me a bit twisted. So be it.)