Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Got Milk?

As someone who used to write directions for a living, you'd think I'd be better at following them. You would be wrong.

Let me start at the beginning. I'm intrigued these days by the blog (Zero Waste Home) and the author's efforts to have a zero waste household. It's pretty amazing what she does. Yes, she is extreme, And yes, she does things that I am not likely to ever be comfortable doing (turning down a glass of wine at a party because it's in a plastic cup? Oh, hell to the no!) 

Her commitment though is admirable. And her blog has caused me to question my own habits and look more closely at how I might reduce my household trash. I recycle, but could cut down on the amount of packaging that I bring into the house.

So...I made almond milk.  A lot, of almond milk. Like 8000 gallons worth of almond milk. I read the recipe and said to myself, "2 cups! That's not enough!" I quadrupled it. And somehow that multiplied and I have over a gallon of almond milk.

I don't drink a gallon of almond milk in a month. 

Yet now (according to my interwebs research), I have to drink it all within three days or it'll spoil -- since it's not full of preservatives and such it won't keep. Super. I should've stuck to the directions.

Better get drinkin'!